Field Trip!

Saturday, October 11, 2008 Posted In , , , , Edit This 2 Comments »
It was field trip Friday once again! This time we went on yet another hike, but in a different location. We also went with a specific artistic purpose. To find leaves. I recently checked out a great book from the library that had all kids of crazy animals made out of pressed leaves. It was more inspirational than the average leaf book because they used lots of little leaves for details (scales on fish, eyes, etc).

So today after our picnic lunch, we hunted for leaves while trying to imagine what the different shapes could be. Maggie and her friend had to be continuously reminded to look for different shapes though, or they would've ended up with nothing but crazy colored maple leaves.






Crayfish! What a pleasant surprise to find crayfish in the water! You might have to click on the top photo to actually see the crayfish hiding in between the rocks. The bottom picture is the smallest crayfish I'd ever seen. Gracy found it under a rock. I think when I was younger I tried NOT to turn over rocks to see what was under them. It made me queasy. I'm glad the girls have more adventure in them!


Then there's the graffiti. The kids found some charred wood and picked up a couple of pieces. Later they used it to tag the area with smiles. The graffiti that washes off. :)




The kids were forbidden from crossing the stream of water here because it was too high to cross and stay dry. So they plotted, planned and schemed. Made it look like they were throwing rocks and suddenly...voila! A rock bridge. Now they could cross and stay dry.

2 comments:

~y~m~i~ said...

so glad you always remember your camera... one of these days I will too! =)

Sarah said...

Ha ha! You see it as remembering my camera. But I've fooled you. It's really a crazy obsession that leaves me to lug around my camera as if it is as important as my phone...If there's an emergency, I'll always be able to take pictures before I dial 911...