Presence Or Presents

Saturday, August 30, 2008 Edit This 3 Comments »
I'm ashamed to admit that when the girls were young I often felt as if they happened to me. Um...let's see, how do I explain this...I felt that some people did it the right way-they fell in love (probably at college), got married, bought a house, had kids. But me? Well, I just was playing the cards I'd been dealt. Of course I loved them, they are my girls, but this single mom thing wasn't in my plans for life - it just happened.

While they were still itty bitty I went back to school with dreams of becoming an attorney. When I imagined myself at my current age I pictured a new car, a three bedroom house, nice clothes, and extra spending money. I tried to push away any thoughts of 60+ hour weeks, late nights working on cases, and leaving sick kids at home by themselves because I have no choice but to be in court in the morning.



Not in a million years did I picture that I'd be working with runaway teens making less than my pre-college days (but how much fun and a flexible schedule), driving the same car (and praying it keeps running), and living with a room mate and her son in a rented three bedroom duplex.

In a perfect world I'd be able to shower my girls with gifts for no reason and spend unlimited amounts of time with them. Unfortunately, that's not an option at this point in my life. I have to choose. Do I give my children my presence or my presents? They can't have both.

While some people opt for financial stability, I am opting for time with my children. No, I don't expect them to live at home with me forever. It's just that I am unwilling to sacrifice the lives God entrusted me with so that I can chase the proverbial American dream. Call me crazy, but I'll take my flexible yet low paying job over a high paying time sucking one for as long as my girls need me. Sure, more money would be nice, but I wouldn't miss this loud and crazy time in life for anything.

There will be another stage in my life when my house will be clean and quiet and I'll want to avoid it's monotony by working long hours and saving for retirement - or maybe I'll finally buy that new car...



Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.
~Proverbs 23:4-5


He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor. ~Proverbs 21:21

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. ~2 Peter 1:3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the proudest parent!!
Your Mom

Sarah said...

Awww...thanks Mom

Anonymous said...

Love your stories sistah!Interesting how we see things so differently when God 'allows' or should we say 'bestows' His will in our lives for or hearts to be honed to match His Son! Maybe its joy!?! not like the stories say, but true, pure JOY!