In The World @ The Pool

Friday, July 06, 2007 Posted In Edit This 1 Comment »
I often have converstaions with Christian friends about getting to the point where we are out of touch with the "world". It's easy to do. We start going to church & make new friends, we're learning a new way of life, we are new creatures, our old self has died. Why would we want to look back? Why would we want to spend time in a world where we no longer fit in?

Oh yeah...because Jesus asked us to reach the lost - those that don't yet know Him as their savior, their way. And it's pretty hard to do that from a pew (or a cushy blue chair - whatever, you get the idea). The only way to reach the lost is to get out there in the world with them. Spend time with them, know what they are like, form relationships with them.

If you don't know where to go to get started with this, let me suggest Fisk Park's Resch Center Pool. While we were there for 2 short hours today:

--> Ben slipped & fell. While he was filing his acident report another little boy came in asking the pool staff to call the police. A group of boys took off with his things. The pool staff did call eventually, but not before suggesting to the boy he run after them.

--> I overheard one boy (about 12) instructing his friend on a technic he uses to grab girls butts in the pool while pretending he's swimming. "Just make it like it's an accident." He demonstrated (without a target) the act to his friend and laughed about some reactions he's gotten so far today. And yes, I turned them in...

--> There was the nice lesbian couple with a baby in the wading section

--> I spoted one little girl (about 5 or 6) with suspicious bruises

--> While one couple was yelling at each other loudly enough to draw attention, another couple close by was really needing a room somewhere.

This was only our second trip to this particular pool, the first trip not much different than this one...I think it's safe to say I will not be frequenting with my kids. But it was definitely a place to be in the world......

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

yuk... I am glad I grew up when I did..... we loved the pool and were there every day... it is sad.