Simplicity

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 Posted In , , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
Have you ever started something new with a vision in your head of how it's going to go - what it's going to look like in the process, what it'll feel like, the part that will be challenging, the part you'll be proud of, and what it will look like when it's finished? Do things ever work out like the vision in your head? Not so much for me. It's like God is laughing at me...It's like He's saying, "Good imagination, but we're still going to do things my way."

Take this blog for example. I remember sitting down to begin. I had actually taken time off of work to plan & organize things for the summer. I needed to feel like I was prepared for almost anything and have a backup plan in case something new came up.

I envisioned myself typing of grand science experiments, trips to the library to see the "Oh Froggy" speaker & work on projects for the county fair. I expected to be reporting on the exploration of area parks detailing the number of slides vs trees. I expected to attend the day of races & ice cream social at the park. I imagined the bordom box on the living room floor being pulled from almost daily resulting in a few groans, but mostly an expression of glee & excitement. I pictured posting all the antics in our backyard - picnics, tree climbing, forts, racetracks & even a few fights...This would be an exciting, fun, event-filled summer that I would blog about, scrapbook, and hold in the memories of my family.

But God is teaching me to enjoy the simplicity of life. Everything does not have to be what I would consider exciting. This is apparently something that is obvious to my children.

They prefer the pool with extra swimming room and only 3 diving boards to the one with 3 waterslides, a diving board, various sprayers, a sand area equiped with toys, tables & water, & volleyball courts. Their favorite park is not the one with many toys to explore & play on with the cushy ground in case they fall. It's the one that has one picnic table, a bunch of trees, and a river flowing near it - no playground equipment. (One of the neighbor kids asked my daughter why she even called that a park, what could possibly be fun about nothing but one picnic table to which she responded, "It's just the best park EVER!")

Simplicity isn't easy for an overachiever. Pray for me :)

0 comments: