This Should've Been Posted July 17th...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 Posted In , Edit This 0 Comments »
This morning I put my 2 baby girls on a plane by themselves. Ok, they're not babies...they are 10 & almost 9...to me they are babies - especially to be left in the hands of strangers.

I am fighting with myself to stop thinking about the potential problems they could have during the next few hours.

I've talked to a bunch of people who have flown as "unaccompanied minors" and they all assured me their experiences were pleasant. The girls and I went over "stranger danger", being "buddies" at all times, and recognizing airline staff by their uniforms.

I did my best to not wear my fear. I kept an up-beat attitude. Talked about how cool it would be to fly just the two of them. How they could be extra responsible and read their books while in flight. They packed healthy snacks in their carry-on. I tried to focus on the "fun" part of it. I didn't express my concerns to ANYONE so they wouldn't over hear me and get worried themselves.

Yet somehow my very insightful 10 year old knew I was worried. She just called me from the plane. She just wanted to let me know that they made their connecting flight, and they are just fine. She'll call again when they land.

Part of me is SO proud of her. She's a mature 10; responsible, full of awareness and control. Part of me is so sad for her. Have I somehow robbed her of a normal childhood? Has all my worrying and constant reminding about strangers & safety caused my little girl to act older than she should?

There is a clueless bliss...my girls never really had that. From the time they could understand, I've made my girls aware that "bad guys" don't always look like bad guys. They can be girls, friendly, and wear a suit.

I see other people's kids...they walk up to strangers (adults) and introduce themselves, ask how their day is going, etc. The parents say, "He's so friendly" and smile. I freak out inside. WHY WOULD YOU TEACH YOUR KID IT'S GOOD TO TALK TO STRANGERS?

Those kids wouldn't have called from the plane at 10 years old.

Again, I'm thrilled she called. I don't have to worry they are wandering an airport waiting for the next flight (which is what happened the last time I flew into that airport). I know that they are safe. No one has tried to grab my babies. They are still together and happy. I just wish I could have hid my fear from them a little bit better.

0 comments: