Last Day of School

Friday, June 01, 2007 Posted In , , , Edit This 1 Comment »
It's hard to believe the school year is all ready over. It seems just like yesterday we were writing names on the girls new school supplies.

My feelings on the day? Definately mixed up. I'm looking foward to the opportunity to spend more time with the girls. They are at a wonderful age where they can entertain themselves if needed, but they usually don't mind doing things with me either. On the other hand, I just started working from the house. I don't want to neglect the girls or work. I certainly don't want to be frusterated with my girls just for being out of school during "work time". Yet I know I have a responsibility to get things done for work. Oh - and did I mention I'll also be watching a friend's son? So that leaves me with Gracy 10, Maggie 8, and Ben 7...

So, I did what any taskmaster would do...I planned to the point of insanity. I know eventually someone will say, "Mom, I'm bored" right in the middle of a project I'm working on. I won't have time to think of anything, so I figured I'd try to be prepared. I know, I know...millions of moms all over America have 3 kids for the summer and do just fine. What makes me think I need to plan so much? I've found that if I don't have a plan I get frusterated and take it out on others. I don't necissarily have to follow the plan...just have one. :) I've decided to blog my plan & ideas followed by the outcome. I definately appreciate any feedback.

What I've done to plan:
*In my Outlook Calendar I've not only put in my usual meeteings and deadlines for work, but I've also entered free or low cost activities (we're talking under $5 for all of us) going on at the city parks, library, and schools. I was happily surprised to be overwhelmed once I started plugging in all the opportunites.
*Planted a garden at a friend's house. Our backyard doesn't have the room for a garden, not to mention we rent. So when a friend offered to let us share her garden space, I jumped at the chance. I'm excited to learn along with the kids how to garden from a pro!
*We're taking the presidential challenge. I went to www.presidentschallenge.org and signed us all up. We've commited to physical activity for at least 30 minutes each day and hope to earn an award by the end of summer.
*Pool Passes. Our city has an awesome park system with 2 aquatic centers. With our passes we can go anytime and cool down in the pool, sunbathe poolside, or take advantage of the waterslides.
*Schoolwork. Ok, I know it's summer vacation, but I keep hearing all the benefits of continued studies thru the summer months. They don't have a ton. One small amount on one subject each day. Friday they get to pick a packet of any subject they feel like doing. For science each week they have an experiment to perform. Fun things like gathering mud and sticks and trying to make a bird's nest using 2 ice cream bar sticks like a bird's beak. They also have to read one chapter in a book of thier choice and one chapter of a book of thier choice in the Bible.
*Journaling. I'm asking that they each write at least one paragraph about their day. While I'm wanting to form a good habit I'm also selfish - I want to type some of their entries up and include them in a scrap book of summer '07.
*Chores. I made magnets of common chores and put them on the side of the fridge. There's a section of "needs to be done" and "done" so there are no questions.
*I'm bored busters. This is a box into which I've inserted index cards filled with things to do. They include things like making a volcano in the backyard, picking up trash at a local park, painting with nature (using grass, leaves, etc as paintbrushes), writing a letter to a grandparent, and decorating bikes and scooters to have a parade. I've let the kids know what a couple of the cards say, but mostly kept them a secret. I'm thinking I'll let them each pull one and then they can decide which one we do. Or maybe we'll just pull one...we'll see. I've got about 50 ideas in the box, and most of them are pretty fun if I do say so myself. Perhaps I'll post the list sometime. I'm also hoping this list grows. I'm going to be looking for ideas to expand the box. I also hope the kids come up with some of their own to add.
*Rate a park. I got this idea from Mrs. Taylor - who is retiring this year after teaching 1st grade for 42 years... We plan to go to a different park each week & enjoy it. When we get home, we'll rate it based on how pretty it was, how fun it was, and if we'd like to go back. We'll keep them all in a notebook, or maybe a Word file. We can go back to the ones we liked best. The kids will not know where we are going week to week.
*Camp. The girls are going to a 3 day Missionettes camp next weekend. They'll also be going to a 5 day Super Kidz Camp in August.
*Travel. Gracy is going on her first mission trip. It's a 5 day trip and they'll stay in the state. But it gives her the chance to share her faith. I'm excited she's finally old enough to make the trip. Next year both the girls will go. Maggie is going to Mass. with her dad for a little more than a week. Gracy & Maggie will also both be going to NC to visit Gracy's grandparents for 10 days.

Ok, so I've been known to be an overachiever - and it shows. But like I said before, I don't have to stick with the plan. As long as I have one.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Sarah

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over-acheivment is an understatment.