What Happens When We Don't Do Our Chores?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 Posted In , , Edit This 2 Comments »
Today the kids seemed to be curious as to what would happen if they didn't finish their checklist. Their actions asked, "What if I skip my chores?" and "What if I take 3 hours to write a paragraph in my journal?"

It took them until 3:30 to figure out that not finishing checklist = not going swimming. Everyone was pretty upset when I announced they had now past the time of being able to go swimming for the day since I had somewhere to be after supper. I quickly reminded them that they had made this choice with their actions.

I was proud of myself. It was the first time all summer that I had to look into the sad little eyes of children in swimming suits (they call this "getting dressed") and tell them "no", and I did it. Even though I wanted to find a way to say yes, I knew they needed to learn cause & effect - Mom can't rescue you just because you decided to be a slacker.

Then the neighbor kid called. I forgot that she had asked yesterday if she could go to the pool with us today. She knew it was getting late. I hated telling her we weren't going. She cried. I wanted to cry for her. I couldn't take it. I went outside (so the kids didn't hear me) and called Cherie. Yes, she could take the kids & the neighbor swimming after supper - she said she could use the exercise...

To make up for the fact that I caved, I added to each of their checklists. I told them if they didn't get them done before I left, they would be coming with me instead of Cherie.

They took me seriously - they all finished long before supper and swam happily ever after.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great Mom! I am so proud of you.... love comes with a price sometimes doesn't it? But oh so worth it!

And I am oh so proud of my granchildren for learning their lessons and being so lovable!

Sarah said...

Thanks :) You're too sweet!